Friday, May 12, 2006

"Christians expect everyone to believe the way they do..."

This is just a simple little post that I am inserting here for the benefit of those who make statements like the one above.

PLEASE... DO NOT believe the way I do. I am a wretched sinner with nothing good in my flesh at all. The holy law of God condemns every effort of my failing flesh as filthy rags. I am commanded by the Word of God to obey perfectly every precept therein, and I often resolve in my mind to do anything other.

Believe, instead, the way the Word of God tells you to believe; absolutely dependently and wholly upon the work of Christ on the cross to save sinners. Believe in a Sovereign God who has ordered all things according to His absolute and unchanging will. Believe that an everlasting and torturous Hell awaits the damned who are subject forever to the wrath of God against sin. Believe that there is no escaping hell for you by any designs of human imagination whatever. Believe that there is no recourse for sinners at all but that mercy which he pours out upon undeserving mankind so that His elect might live long enough in the valley of sojourn to hear His gospel of grace. Believe in the truth of the infallible Word of God; don't believe like I do.
Eternal God, grant that the preaching of Thy Gospel might, by the effectual work of Thy Spirit, work to gather unto Thy folds a people for Thy glory and Thy inheritance. Let the awesome fear of Thy judgments be the terror of sinners, and the beauty and power of Thy Christ their refuge, as Thou wouldst deign in Thy mercy to reveal His perfect satisfaction of Thy law. Grant these things for the sake of Christ and for Thy glory. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home